Author: Prof Patty

By Daniela Morosini  SWELLNESS  JUNE 11, 2021 Skin cancer is the most common cancer in the U.S. and worldwide, and it’s only becoming more so. The Skin Cancer Foundation estimates that the number of diagnosed new melanoma cases will increase by almost 6 percent in 2021. Even worse, many more cases will go undetected — especially in people…

Read More Why Doctors Still Struggle to Detect Skin Cancer in Black People

Meghan Overdeep June 7, 2021 The original Whipping Cream Cake recipe is as follows: 1 cup butter 3 cups sugar 6 eggs 3 cups flour 1 carton (1/2 pint) whipping cream 2 tsp vanilla Leave butter to soften at room temperature. Add sugar and cream well. Add one egg at a time, beating after each…

Read More Whipping Cream Cake: The Vintage Dessert the Internet Can’t Stop Baking

The history behind Juneteenth you might not have known Juneteenth is the oldest nationally celebrated commemoration of the ending of slavery in the United States. In 1865, there were an estimated 250,000 enslaved people in Texas. The Union soldiers, led by Major General Gordon Granger, landed at Galveston, Texas, with news that the war had…

Read More Juneteenth

Also known as chocolate pudding cake, chocolate cobbler is two desserts in one: a layer of tender cake mixed up with warm, pudding-like fudge. It’s also made with basic pantry staples, so you can whip it up at a moment’s notice or whenever a serious chocolate craving hits. Cobblers like this one are made in an unconventional way, but…

Read More Chocolate Cobbler

Dr. Tom Frieden June 1, 2021 Dr. Tom Frieden, director of the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the Obama administration, when he oversaw responses to the H1N1 influenza, Ebola and Zika epidemics, is President and CEO of Resolve to Save Lives, an initiative of Vital Strategies and Senior Fellow for Global Health at the Council on…

Read More Taming the world’s leading killer: high blood pressure

The National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration predicts 13-20 named storms, 6-10 hurricanes and 3-5 major hurricanes to form this season. An average hurricane season produces 14 named storms, seven hurricanes and three major hurricanes. The NOAA forecasts a 60% chance of an above-normal hurricane season, a 30% chance of an near-normal season and a 10% chance of…

Read More Hurricane Season is Here – June 1 to November 30

By Kathy Morris writing at zippia.com Summary Of Facts Households must earn less than 130% of the poverty level to receive SNAP A family of four would need to make $31,980 or less to receive SNAP benefits The average household receives $256 a month to spend on food Nationally, 12.4 percent of Americans receive food stamps to supplement…

Read More THE STATES WITH THE MOST (AND FEWEST) PEOPLE ON FOOD STAMPS

It’s business as usual with the end of middle-seat blocking, the return of change fees and more by Larry Bleiberg, AARP, May 18, 2021  On May 1, Delta Airlines ended the practice of blocking the middle seat on flights, an effort initiated more than a year earlier to preserve social distancing on planes. It was the last…

Read More A Guide to Airline Policies as Flying Takes Off Again