Lots to say. What’s your plan for 2023? Travel, you say? Well, get started planning!Kintsugi 12/6/22
- 26 caramels
- 1 cup milk chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1-1/3 cups semisweet chocolate chips
- 1 tablespoon shortening
- 1. Line an 8-in. square pan with foil; set aside. In a microwave-safe bowl, combine the caramels, milk chocolate chips and cream. Microwave, uncovered, on high for 1 minute; stir. Microwave 1 minute longer, stirring every 15 seconds or until caramels are melted and mixture is smooth. Spread into prepared pan; refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 2. Using the foil, lift candy out of pan. Cut into 30 pieces; roll each piece into a 1-in. ball. Cover and refrigerate for 1 hour or until firm.
- 3. In a microwave-safe bowl, melt semi-sweet chips and shortening; stir until smooth. Dip caramels in chocolate; allow excess to drip off. Place on waxed paper; let stand until set. If desired, use additional melted chocolate to drizzle over truffles. Refrigerate until firm.
- © 2022 RDA Enthusiast Brands, LLC
Say “I Love You” Without Saying a Word
- cook their favorite meal
- give them a massage or a foot rub
- do a chore they hate to do
- be affectionate
- give them your undivided attention
- do an activity they like, even if you hate it
- invite their friends/family over
- let them know they are genuinely appreciated
- go an entire day without one criticism
- help them through an illness
- walk the dog
- bring flowers if they like flowers
- get tickets to an event they like
- leave a loving note where they will find it
- spend time together
- smile at them
- let them hear you saying nice things about them to others
- call or text “just because”
- bring home their favorite dinner
- take the kids away for the weekend
- get them a small gift they would enjoy
- take a walk together
- make a play list of music they like
- send the kids away for an overnight
- do something they’ve been asking you to do
- be vulnerable
- make a bucket list together (one of my favorites) and start working on it
- go to bed together at the same time
- wash their back in the shower without expecting sex
- let them go on a short vacation with their friends without being difficult about it
- let the last thing they hear from you when they are leaving or hanging up the phone is “I love you”
The Real Reason Some English Words Have Silent Letters
The English language is notorious for its use of silent letters. In fact, about 60 percent of English words contain a silent letter. But these often distressing words weren’t intended to be so confusing. These changes took place over the course of several centuries and eventually led to modern English pronunciations with little or no changes in spelling. Of course, it makes writing these words correctly even more difficult, so use these spelling rules you should have memorized to help you get them down pat. (more)
How racial bias in appraisals affects the devaluation of homes in majority-Black neighborhoods
Previous Brookings research found that homes are undervalued in majority-Black neighborhoods, yet could not identify why. Recently, the Federal Housing Finance Agency released new neighborhood-level data on home appraisals. Using this data in combination with other sources, this report draws the following conclusions on home appraisal bias’s effect on housing markets in majority-Black neighborhoods:
We continue to find that homes in Black neighborhoods are valued roughly 21% to 23% below what their valuations would be in non-Black neighborhoods.
Adjusting for characteristics of homes and neighborhoods, we find that appraisal transactions in majority-Black neighborhoods are 1.9 times more likely to be appraised under the contract price than homes in majority-white neighborhoods.
We estimate that the median appraisal is 15% lower in majority-Black neighborhoods compared to homes in neighborhoods where less than 1% of the population is Black.
Read the entire report HERE.
I wanted crepes for breakfast. Here they are. I made my own pancake batter. Costco had huge jars of Four Fruits Preserves for sale.Wild Cooking Woman 12/2/22
- 2 Cups King Arthur Baking Company Buttermilk Pancake Mix
- 1 ½ Cups Water
- 4 Large Eggs
- 4 Tbsp. Butter, melted
- 1 Jar Bonne Maman® Four Fruits Preserves
- Whipped cream, lightly sweetened (optional topping)
- Seasonal Fruit (optional topping)
Place pancake mix into a medium mixing bowl.
In small bowl, whisk together the water and eggs.
Make a well in the pancake mix and pour in ½ the liquid mixture. Whisk well, then add remaining liquid and stir until fairly smooth. Stir in butter, then cover and let rest at room temperature for at least an hour.
Heat crêpe pan or 10″ skillet to medium-hot. Use a paper towel to carefully wipe bottom of the pan with a bit of butter. Pour a scant 1/3 cup of batter into the bottom of pan. Pick the pan up and tip it in a circle, swirling the batter so it covers the bottom of the pan.
Cook until bottom of the crêpe begins to brown and you can slide a spatula under it. It will hold together well, so you can flip it over easily. Cook briefly on the other side, until set, and place on a warm plate. Cover while you cook the remaining crêpes.
To fill crêpes:
Spread a heaping 2 tablespoons of Bonne Maman® Four Fruits Preserves on each crêpe, fold in half, then fold in half again to make a triangle. Top crêpes with whipped cream and serve with seasonal fruit (if desired).
December 1 already! 95% of emails are sales pitches! [Free shipping. Rewards. 50%. BOGO. Finer things. Deal alert. Friends and family sale. Hold your discount? Tonight only. Luxe for less. Treats you deserve. Don’t let these freebies expire. Days of deals now. Something special for you. Free. Save. Bonus. Up to 75% off. Stack the savings.] Messages for today! Nuff said!Kintsugi 12/1/22
Hope the past few days haven’t been too stressful. Don’t forget to check out the jazz and music pages. Have a trip you’d like to take someday? Stop dreaming. Start taking steps toward making it a reality. Open a travel savings account and save that tax refund. Investigate travel requirements. Start getting immunizations if needed. Don’t forget travel insurance. Plan your itinerary. Go for it. Did you know that Cuba (one of my favorite places) now has a 90 day tourist visa?Wild Cooking Woman 11/26/22
The entertaining season is here! Get ready, even if you are only entertaining yourself! Eat as well as you can, don’t run up bills to pay in 2023, and don’t stress. Give thanks for whatever blessings you have. Someone is always worse off then you.Kintsugi 11/22/22
I love words. I love books. I love reading. I love reading print books. I even love e-books. I just love books. I read banned books! I read challenged books! Freedom to read! Gotta have it!Wild Cooking Woman 11/18/22
Mark your calendars: The next Banned Books Week will be October 1 – 7, 2023!
For more information, go to the American Library Association’s site HERE. Look for ALA’s Top Challenged Books of 2022 list in April 2023!