- 1/4 cup butter, cubed
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets (about 8 ounces)
- 1 large carrot, finely chopped
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 2 cups half-and-half cream
- 2 bay leaves
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1/4 cup water or additional chicken stock
- 2-1/2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 6 small round bread loaves (about 8 ounces each), optional
- In a 6-qt. stockpot, heat butter over medium heat; saute onion and garlic until tender, 6-8 minutes. Stir in broccoli, carrot, stock, cream and seasonings; bring to a boil. Simmer, uncovered, until vegetables are tender, 10-12 minutes.
- Mix cornstarch and water until smooth; stir into soup. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally; cook and stir until thickened, 1-2 minutes. Remove bay leaves. Stir in cheese until melted. Avoid gritty cheese sauces by allowing soup to cool slightly before you add cheese. Stir in a little at a time until it melts in.
- If using bread bowls, cut a slice off the top of each bread loaf; hollow out bottoms, leaving 1/4-in.-thick shells (save removed bread for another use). Fill with soup just before serving.
- If desired, serve soup with toppings.
Recipe from https://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/cheesy-broccoli-soup-in-a-bread-bowl/?_cmp=recipeoftheday&_ebid=recipeoftheday9192021&_mid=439374&ehid=805CF0739D65A55C1EDD260A589C69B02DEE3FEB&os_ehash=805CF0739D65A55C1EDD260A589C69B02DEE3FEB